Friday, February 2, 2024

מים מלוכלכים (חלק שלישי)

At 2:30 in the morning I was awakened by the sound of whispers emanating from the tunnel entrance.

I looked around; none of the soldiers in my periphery stirred.

The whispering continued. I heard someone chuckle. 

My blood ran cold. 

My rifle was at my side. I reached for it slowly, flipping the safety catch to full-auto.

I sat up and peered into the darkness of the tunnel.

Somewhere in the tunnel a rifle cocked.

Fuck this, I thought. I aimed my rifle and depressed the trigger until all 30 rounds were exhausted.

Israeli soldiers yelled in Hebrew and scrambled for cover. The stench of cordite and copper hung heavily in the air. Nothing moved inside the tunnel. 

We all stared wide-eyed at each other for a moment, trying to piece together our next move. 

"I'm not going in there, you go in there", one soldier finally murmured. I saw heads nod.

Everyone's eyes eventually settled on me. 

The squad leader put his hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eye. "Finish what you start, killer", he said with a grin, pointing at the tunnel entrance.

In the silence I heard a low moan echo out from inside the tunnel.

Fuck this, I thought once again to myself. In the shatter of the still I reloaded my rifle with a grunt. Talk about pulling the short straw.

No comments: