Thursday, July 22, 2021

Christie & Co.

Last night I had a dream where you and your younger sister came over for Christmas dinner.

I was walking around the house, playing guitar and spreading holiday cheer; when I entered the living room you were sitting in my chair. 

I said hello, introducing myself to your younger sister, at first thinking it was you - for a moment I remembered you as last I saw you, some ten years ago, hence the misidentification. 

Did you ever have a younger sister, Christie? I seem to remember an older sister and a younger brother; was there a younger sister in the mix? I don't remember at this point. 

Maybe she was our daughter and I simply didn't recognize her.

When I entered the kitchen she followed - I opened the refrigerator door and caught her peeking around the corner. I squatted down to address her but she eyeballed me warily and wordlessly from a distance. 

Given our history, I can't say that I blamed her. 

- May 4, 2021

No comments: