Friday, July 23, 2021

Life Time

I was checking a strangers bag for Nazi memorabilia - on the x-ray image it looked like a giant metal swastika, although it could have been one of those mini lug-wrenches you see bike riders carry.

While checking the bag I stumbled upon pictures of myself as a child, Nana, Aunt Teri, Uncle Nash and Mrs. Dorothy. As I laid them out and compared each others faces I felt the overwhelming clarity of time slipping away and opportunities passing me by - most of the people in those pictures were long gone, or missing from my life, unlikely to ever be seen again.

"With every passing moment I am dying here in front of you. It is the inescapable curse of every living creature." - The Mixtape Diaries

I cried like an animal. Unfamiliar sounds wrenched themselves from my clenched throat while the salt of my own tears stained my tongue. 

Destanie, who until that moment had ignored me entirely, choosing instead to peruse her smartwatch for Instagram updates, held me as I cried.

"I just wanted to take a minute to remind you of something: Life isn't short, it goes on after you're gone. Time is not running out, time just goes. It is your life time that is short and running out all the time. 

Months ago my best friend was shot in the face and killed on my front porch, for nothing. Life time's up for him. 

You're different. You're alive, you're breathing. I'd like to see you stay that way. Don't do anything for nothing. You're too important. This trip is all about you." - Henry Rollins, Now Watch Him Die

No comments: