Tuesday, March 9, 2021

On Vaccination ("War")

The Department of Homeland Security was not included in the initial plans for vaccination via Operation Warp Speed. Although David Pekoske, the Acting Security of Homeland Security, successfully petitioned the Trump Administration for vaccine doses for the department's 230,000 employees, the vaccines themselves did not magically appear out of thin air once this was accomplished. Rather, they were culled from existing stockpiles intended for frontline medical personnel and people aged 65 and older.

The thought of taking a vaccine away from someone who arguably needs it more than myself . . . no, I am not willing to do that. 

Instead, I will double-down on existing preventative measures and continue holding the line, knowing at a later date the eligibility list will expand to include me once those populations most at-risk are successfully vaccinated. I mean, we're already a year into this God-forsaken pandemic, what's another few weeks?

I do not regret making this decision in the slightest. Service is about putting the needs of others before your own. American culture as a whole is grossly narcissistic and self-centered, and Americans love deluding themselves in their own self-serving brand of superiority and adoration. Forgive me for choosing not to play along.

No comments: