Monday, March 8, 2021

William (Rational Self-Analysis III)

"My defensiveness is derived from a deep-seated sense of inadequacy."

At your age, I would say that you're pretty fucking successful.

"From the outside looking in, people see a young man with a successful career and a lot of money in the bank. I was always taught that money is a by-product of success and that pursuing wealth alone is a fools errand; pursue success and wealth will follow. 

Using these metrics to gauge success, I suppose I have accomplished quite a bit, especially when compared to kids I went to high school and graduated college with. Every once in a while an individual from my past will re-enter my sphere of influence, and damn . . . 

But even when I succeed at something I care deeply about, like releasing a music album, I feel proud in that moment, but I can't hold onto that feeling . . . and then it's gone, and that feeling of inadequacy returns to grind on me some more." 

No comments: